Mathematics Education, M.Ed.
Contact: Dr. Virgil Fredenberg
The M.Ed. in Mathematics Education is designed to provide content and pedagogy appropriate for the teaching of mathematics with options for increasing the teacher’s understanding of content area literacy, the inclusion of students with special needs and utilizing technology to teach mathematics. The mathematics content is designed to strengthen understanding of the mathematics taught in the K-8 curriculum. Candidates must prepare an exit portfolio, demonstrating competency in the nine outcomes of the School of Education (i.e., philosophy, development, diversity, content, student learning, learning environment, professionalism, technology). The M.Ed. Mathematics Education program is not an initial teacher certification program. For an initial teaching certificate see Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education programs, or Master of Arts in Teaching programs. Students wanting a K-5 or K-8 Mathematics Education teaching endorsement will be eligible upon completion of the requirements for the specific Certificate Program. Program assessment plans and student learning outcomes are posted at the Program Assessment website.
- A completed graduate application and $60 nonrefundable application fee.
- An official transcript indicating baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.00.
- Two general recommendations written on UAS provided form by former or current professors, employers, or supervisors who are familiar with your work and performance and submitted on form located on School of Education website.
- A Statement of Professional Objectives.
- Copy of a current teaching or administrative certificate. Additional information and links to forms at uas.alaska.edu/education/programs/med-math.html.
|Minimum Credit Hours||36|
|EDET S628||Technology in Instructional Design||3|
|EDET S636||The Impact of Technology on Student Learning||3|
|EDET S668||Educational Technology Leadership||3|
|EDMA S608||Mathematical Problem Solving for K-8 Teachers||3|
|EDMA S614||Numeration and Operations: Mathematics for K-8 Teachers||3|
|EDMA S654||Algebra and Functions: Content and Pedagogy for K-8 Teachers||3|
|EDMA S655||Geometry and Measurement: Content and Pedagogy for K-8 Teachers||3|
|EDMA S656||Data Analysis, Statistics, and Probability: Content and Pedagogy for K-8 Teachers||3|
|EDMA S657||Calculus and Trigonometry: Content and Pedagogy for K-8 Teachers||3|
|EDMA S658||Technology for Teaching and Learning Mathematics||3|
|EDMA S698||Master's Research Project or Portfolio||3|
|Advisor approved Elective 1||3|
Graduate level advisor approved elective with an emphasis on pedagogy