Special Education, M.Ed.
Contact: Deborah E.Lo, Ph.D.
The M.Ed. program in Special Education prepares teachers to develop and implement culturally responsive special education services for students with disabilities. The program focuses on the unique needs of
- children and youth with disabilities;
- Alaska’s diverse Native and non-Native communities; and
- Alaska’s remote and rural and urban communities.
The M.Ed. program in Special Education is designed to accommodate practicing teachers, paraprofessionals, and other school-based professionals. Courses are offered in the evenings and in the summer and all courses are offered online and/or via audio conference. This e-Learning format allows candidates who live and work in Alaska’s remote and rural communities to remain in their communities while completing their graduate studies. Program assessment plans and student learning outcomes are posted at the Program Assessment website.
- A completed graduate application and $60 nonrefundable application fee.
- An official transcript indicating baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.00.
- Copy of current teaching certificate or admission to SOE teaching program.
- Two letters of recommendation on SOE form.
- Writing sample (1-2 page typed, double spaced for each topic). (a) Describe your professional goals and explain why you want to be a special education teacher and/or work with individuals with disabilities. (b) Describe your commitment to diversity in school and classroom settings.
Additional information and links to forms at: uas.alaska.edu/education/programs/med-speced.html
|Minimum Credit Hours||33|
|EDSE S482||Inclusive Education for Students with Disabilities||3|
|EDSE S605||Early Childhood Special Education||3|
|EDSE S610||Assessment of Students with Disabilities||3|
|EDSE S612||Curriculum and Strategies: Low Incidence||3|
|EDSE S622||Curriculum and Strategies: High Incidence||3|
|EDSE S677||Language & Literacy: Assessment & Intervention||3|
|EDSE S685||Transition Planning for Secondary Students||3|
|EDSE S692||Seminar: Special Education: Secondary||3|
|EDSE S694||(Special Education Practicum)||3|
|EDSE S695||Professional and Ethical Practice||3|
|EDSE S698||Master's Thesis Project||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Literacy and Young Children|
|Alaska Literature for Young People|
|Literacy in the Intermediate and Middle School Grades|
|Technology in Instructional Design|
|Mathematical Problem Solving for K-8 Teachers|
|Literature and Reading: Supporting Readers at All Levels|
|Reading and Literacy in the Content Areas|
|Classroom Management and Child Guidance in ECE|
Approved Instructor Elective
- Satisfactory completion of all courses
- GPA of 3.00 or higher
- An approved Master’s Research Project