Special Education Graduate Certificate
Deborah E. Lo, Ph.D.
The Graduate Certificate program in Special Education prepares teachers to develop and implement culturally responsive special education services for students with disabilities. The program focuses on the unique needs of:
- children and youth with disabilities;
- Alaska’s diverse Native and non-Native communities; and
- Alaska’s remote, urban and rural communities.
Candidates who complete the Graduate Certificate program in Special Education can receive an Endorsement in Special Education (Grades K-12) from the Alaska Department of Education & Early Development.
The Graduate Certificate in Special Education program is designed to accommodate practicing teachers, paraprofessionals, and other school-based professionals. Courses offered in the evenings and in the summer. All courses are offered online and/or via audio conference. This e-learning format allows candidates who live and work in Alaska’s remote and rural communities to remain in their home communities while completing their graduate studies.
Program assessment plans and student learning outcomes are posted at the Program Assessment website.
Admission Requirements Education Certificate
- Application for admission and $60 non-refundable admission fee.
- Copy of a current Alaska teaching certificate or concurrent admission to SOE teaching program.
- Two Letters of Recommendation on SOE form.
- Official transcript(s) indicating a baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.00. degree.
- Writing sample (1-2 page typed, double spaced for each topic).
- Describe your professional goals and explain why you want to be a special education teacher and/or work with individuals with disabilities.
- Describe your commitment to diversity in school and classroom settings.
|Minimum Credit Hours||24|
|EDSE S482||Inclusive Education for Students with Disabilities||3|
|EDSE S605||Early Childhood Special Education||3|
|EDSE S610||Assessment of Students with Disabilities||3|
|EDSE S612||Curriculum and Strategies: Low Incidence||3|
|EDSE S622||Curriculum and Strategies: High Incidence||3|
|EDSE S677||Language & Literacy: Assessment & Intervention||3|
|EDSE S685||Transition Planning for Secondary Students||3|
|EDSE S694||(Special Education Practicum)||3|
|EDSE S695||Professional and Ethical Practice||3|
- Satisfactory completion of all courses
- GPA of 3.00
- An approved Special Education Portfolio