Reading Specialist Graduate Certificate
Lisa K. Richardson
Admission to the Reading Certificate program requires the same application materials as the M.Ed. in Reading Specialist. If the Reading Specialist Graduate Certificate application is submitted with the M.Ed. application, the $60 application fee will be charged only once.
- Application for admission and $60 non-refundable admission fee.
- Copy of a current Alaska teaching or administrative certificate.
- Two Letters of Recommendation on UAS form.
- Official transcript(s) indicating a baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.0.
Please write an essay of three to five pages (1500 words maximum) describing the following topics:
- Describe your rationale for applying to a graduate program in (insert program title here) and your professional goals related to this course of study.
- What are some of the challenges that face educators in public education today? How might continued study support you in mediating these challenges or supporting possible solutions in your context?
- Describe a trend in education and your perception of its effects for learners and systems of education.
- Reflecting on your career in education to this point
- Describe a success that you experienced and why you considered this experience a success.
- Describe a situation that did not result in a positive outcome and what you might have done differently.
- Statement of ability to do field experience on UAS form.
Additional information and links to forms at: https://www.uas.alaska.edu/education/programs/reading-specialist.html.
|Minimum Credit Hours||27|
|EDRE S671||Language, Reading and Culture||3|
|EDRE S674||Developing Reading, ECE-12||3|
|EDRE S675||Reading and Cognition||3|
|EDRE S678||Literature and Reading: Supporting Readers at All Levels||3|
|EDRE S679||Reading and Literacy in the Content Areas||3|
|EDRE S680||Reading Instruction and Assessment I||6|
|EDRE S681||Reading Instruction and Assessment II||3|
|EDRE S696||Reading Teacher As Leader||3|
- GPA of 3.00
- Satisfactory completion of all courses