Educational Leadership, M.Ed.
The M.Ed. Educational Leadership program is a cohort program designed to prepare candidates to become school administrators in Alaska. The program prepares candidates for the challenges and opportunities inherent in assuming roles as educational leaders in public schools. The program is designed to prepare building level administrators in both rural and urban districts in the state.
The M.Ed. program in Educational Leadership is designed to provide candidates the opportunity to begin the program in one summer session and complete it in the next. In addition, candidates will be expected to complete courses and School of Education approved internship during the school year. Summer courses will be held on the Juneau campus of the University of Alaska Southeast. Fall and spring courses will be delivered through technology. Program assessment plans and student learning outcomes are posted at the Program Assessment website.
Admission to the M.Ed. in Educational Leadership requires the following:
- Completed application and $60 non-refundable application fee
- Official academic transcript indicating a baccalaureate degree with a GPA of 3.00
- Three years public school teaching experience
- Letter of recommendation or support from the superintendent of schools of the district in which the internship will occur
Please write an essay of three to five pages ( 1500 words maximum) describing the following topics:
- Describe your rationale for applying to a graduate program in (insert program title here) and your professional goals related to this course of study.
- What are some of the challenges that face educators in public education today? How might continued study support you in mediating these challenges or supporting possible solutions in your context?
- Describe a trend in education and your perception of its effects for learners and systems of education.
- Reflecting on your career in education to this point
- Describe a success that you experienced and why you considered this experience a success.
- Describe a situation that did not result in a positive outcome and what you might have done differently.
Additional information and links to forms at: https://www.uas.alaska.edu/education/programs/educational-leadership.html.
|Minimum Credit Hours||36|
|ED S627||Educational Research||3|
|ED S637||Introduction to Educational Leadership||9|
|ED S638||Curriculum and Instructional Leadership I||3|
|ED S639||Curriculum and Instructional Leadership II||3|
|ED S690||Educational leadership II||9|
|ED S691||Internship: (Superintendent I)||3|
|ED S691||Internship: (Superintendent II)||3|
|ED S698||Master's Research Project or Portfolio||3|