Mission, Vision, and Values
The University of Alaska Southeast is a student centered university that provides instruction in liberal arts, professional, and technical fields. On the homelands of the Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian peoples, we serve the coastal environments, cultures, economies, and communities of Alaska, through interdisciplinary education, workforce development, and scholarship, research and creative activity.
The University of Alaska Southeast is recognized as a destination of choice for students seeking excellent academic programs and engaging learning opportunities that integrate the environment and cultures of Southeast Alaska.
- Excellence – we pursue excellence through continuous improvement and innovation in teaching, community engagement, and research, scholarship, and creative expression.
- Diversity – we embody and respect the diversity of each individual’s culture, talents and abilities, and educational goals with special attention to Alaska Native heritage unique to Southeast Alaska.
- Access – we create accessibility to programs and services through use of technology, innovative and creative practices, and personalized services.
- Collaboration – we forge dynamic and cooperative partnerships internally among students, faculty, and staff and externally with other academic institutions, government agencies, business and industry, and community-based organizations to enhance our effectiveness.
- Sustainability – we contribute to the economic, social, and ecological sustainability and quality of life of the southeast region and state, nation, and world using the unique opportunities available (e.g., coastal environment, Tongass National Forest, glacial ecosystem, Juneau as Alaska’s capital city).
- Stewardship – we are responsible stewards in the use of our resources and are accountable for results working in an environment that values the contributions of all.