The University of Alaska Southeast is an open enrollment institution. In addition to providing courses for degree-seeking students, UAS offers a variety of special interest courses for personal enrichment.

UAS Communication Via E-mail

Student E-mail Account

UA uses e-mail to communicate with students on many important matters including all official communication regarding student account statements, Financial Aid, and direct deposit notices. The university automatically assigns each student an official UA e-mail account after the student registers for class. You are responsible for knowing and, when appropriate, acting on the contents of all university communications sent to your official UA e-mail account. If you want to receive university communication at a different e-mail address, you will need to provide your preferred email destination using ELMO (

Use of Social Security Numbers

To protect your privacy, the University of Alaska assigns you a student ID (SID) number that is different from your social security number (SSN). Your SID, rather than your SSN, will be used to identify your educational records.

However, UA is required to obtain your SSN for federal financial aid and tax reporting purposes. Privacy Act Notice, Section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code requires you to give your correct SSN to persons who must file information returns with the IRS to report certain information. The IRS uses the numbers for identification purposes and to help verify the accuracy of your tax return. For more information please refer to IRS code 6050S.

Your SSN is required to submit an admissions application through the secured website. (This will assist us in avoiding duplication of student records.)

Transcripts (UAS)

The University of Alaska now offers multiple options when ordering official transcripts through

  1. Order online: electronic copies sent through secure email as a watermarked PDF file ($12 per copy)
  2. Order online: paper copy sent within 1-2 business days ($15 per copy)
  3. Order in person1: paper copy sent within 5–7 business days ($15 per copy)
  4. Order in person1 expedited: paper copy sent within 1 business day ($30 per copy)

Transcripts ordered in person via the UAS form sends the UAS coursework transcript only. 

Students may obtain unofficial copies of transcripts at UAOnline.

  1. Login to UAOnline at
  2. Click on Student Services & Account Information
  3. Click on Student Records
  4. Click on Academic Transcript
  5. Select a Transcript Level (undergraduate, graduate, all levels, etc.)
  6. Select Transcript Type (WEB Unofficial, etc.) and click Submit (repeat for multiple levels)

Note: if you have multiple levels you will need to repeat Step 6 for each level.


Degree Works

Degree Works is an online degree audit tool students use to monitor their progress and stay on track towards completion of a UAS degree. Degree Works shows how current courses apply to graduation requirements, which courses are still needed to complete a degree, and to determine how changing a major will affect graduation.

Degree Works is accessible through any Internet web browser. Just follow these steps:

  1. Login into UAOnline at
  2. Click on Student Services & Account Information
  3. Click Degree Works / Electronic Degree Audit
  4. Click UAS Degree Works

‘Audit’ tab presents a summary of student information, total credits, GPA (overall and major) followed by a check sheet for the degree requirements. The ‘Fallthrough’ section contains the courses not currently applying to the degree. The ‘Insufficient’ section lists incomplete, withdrawn, failed or courses below college level. ‘In-progress’ section summarizes the student’s UAS registered courses. UAA or UAF courses do not display in the audit until the coursework is graded and transferred to UAS.

Consult with your advisor regarding elective classes or substitutions.

‘What If’ tab generates a degree audit based upon a new major or degree path. This can be used to explore different degree paths at UAS.

  1. Click on the ‘What If’ tab
  2. Select a level, degree, academic year(most current) and major. (Minor & concentration are optional)
  3. Click on the “Process What-If” button to generate.

‘Plans’ tab provides a place for you and your Advisor to plan out future semester schedules. Plans can only be saved by your academic advisor.

Students should work closely with their academic advisor regarding necessary graduation requirements. Official degree audits are only generated through the Application for Graduation process.

Contact the Registrar’s office at (907) 796-6100 for further information or questions.

Preparing to Register

Placement Testing: Most writing and mathematics classes have specific prerequisites. Newly admitted students and those who have not previously met those requirements will need to take placement tests. Placement testing is available through the Learning Center and can be administered to e-Learning students. Placement tests may also be required for certain computer classes. Non-degree-seeking students wishing to take mathematics and writing classes must also meet prerequisites, which require completion of the UAS placement tests. Test results are shared with the advisors in Student Resource Center or Advising Center after the tests are completed. Math test scores are valid for one year only.

Priority Registration: UAS Degree-seeking students and those with pending admissions will be given two weeks of priority registration prior to opening registration for all student populations.

Academic Advising: In order to determine placement, course options, and applicability of courses to degree programs, all students are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor. All new first-year and transfer students (under 30 transfer credits) have a registration hold placed on their account, requiring them to meet with an advisor prior to registering for classes. Academic advisors are assigned at the point of admissions. Non-degree seeking students are encouraged to meet with general academic advisors in the Student Resource Center.

Undecided Major: Bachelor degree-seeking students applying to the Juneau campus who are unsure of which bachelor’s degree program they would like to pursue should choose the Bachelor Intended option at the point of admission. The Student Resource Center advisors will help to transition Undecided students into a formal degree program prior to graduation.

Advisor Signatures: All new first year and transfer (under 30 transfer credits) degree-seeking students are required to work with an advisor prior to registering for classes. Students can meet with an academic advisor in person or work with them at a distance. Students not in good academic standing must obtain an advisor’s signature prior to registering for classes. Non-degree seeking students may register for courses without seeing an academic advisor.

General Registration Information: Registration and payment or payment arrangement of tuition and fees are required to attend class and earn credit. Degree-seeking students are encouraged to register early, once registration opens for each semester. Registration for special programs, short courses, seminars and other classes that are not part of the semester academic offerings will be announced prior to the beginning of the start dates.

Course Prerequisites

Prerequisites indicate the preparation students must have to enter a course. Students will be blocked from registering for courses when they have not met the prerequisites. Students should have achieved upper division standing to take courses at the 300 and 400 level. Prerequisites may be waived with an instructor’s approval signature.

Registration Options

Credit/No Credit

The credit/no-credit option is for undergraduates only, and encourages degree-seeking students to explore areas of interest not related to their academic major. One elective may be taken under this option each semester. Major or minor requirements as well as general education courses are not allowed under this option. The instructor will not be informed if the student has chosen this option. The student will be given credit toward graduation if the student performs at a level of C (2.00) or above. If performance falls below that level, the course will not be recorded on the student’s transcript. In either case, the course will not be included in any grade point calculation. A passing grade will appear as CR on the transcript. If the student changes majors and the course subsequently becomes a requirement, the course will be accepted in the new major.

The student may change from credit/no-credit to regular status or from regular to credit/no–credit status during the first two weeks of any regular semester course or for a prorated length of time for short courses or summer session.


A student who meets the course prerequisites and wishes to “sit in on a class” but not be graded or receive credit may do so by registering as an audit student. Auditors must register during the designated registration dates and pay tuition and fees. Auditors are not graded by instructors, do not receive credit, and are not required to take exams; nor are instructors required to grade auditors’ papers or exams. An “AU” is designated on the student’s academic transcripts. Audited courses do not apply toward degree requirements, nor will they transfer to other institutions.

A student may change registration status from “audit” to “credit” or from “credit” to “audit” up through the second week of classes for full-term classes or for a prorated length of time in the summer session or short course. Credit by examination for an audited course can only take place after one year has passed.

STAY ON TRACK to Graduate on Time

Stay on TRACK encourages students to make conscious choices about their education. Taking deliberate actions will help you graduate in a more timely manner, saving you money. The “real” full time enrollment is 15 credits a semester. Students planning to graduate with an associate degree in two years or a bachelor’s degree in four years need to enroll in at least 30 credits a year, which can include summer school. Alaska Performance Scholarship requires that recipients complete at least 30 credits each year after freshman year.

Study Load, Fall and Spring Semesters

Typical undergraduate students register for 15 credits each semester. Students registering for 19 or more semester credit hours need approval from the student’s academic advisor or campus director and Registrar. The typical course load for graduate students is 9 graduate semester credit hours.

Study Load, Summer Session

During summer sessions, students may not exceed a total of 12 credits for any combination of summer sessions without prior approval of the student’s advisor and campus director or Registrar.

Registration Actions

Adding a Class

Courses may be added based on the published dates for that semester. Instructor/advisor signatures may be required. If a class is filled, students may add their name to a wait list. This does not assure a space in class; students should make an alternative selection.

Dropping a Class

Students may drop full semester classes prior to and during the first two weeks of the semester. Classes less than a full semester in length have prorated drop dates, available online or at the Registrar’s Office. Refer to Dropped courses do not appear on academic transcripts.

Withdrawing From a Course

The withdrawal period starts after the second week of class for full semester courses (prorated for courses less than a semester in length). A grade of “W” will appear on the student’s academic transcripts. This grade will not affect the Grade Point Average (GPA). No withdrawals from full semester courses are permitted after the 10th week of each semester.

Refer to the academic calendar located in the catalog or online, for specific dates. Degree-seeking students are highly encouraged to speak with their academic advisor before withdrawing from any class, as it may affect financial aid eligibility as well as the length of time it may take to complete the degree. International students may not drop below full-time without speaking with the international student coordinator.

Faculty Initiated Drops/Withdrawals

A faculty member may initiate a drop/withdrawal for students or auditors who fail to meet specified course attendance requirements; however, the faculty member is under no obligation to do so.

At the beginning of the semester, faculty may initiate a drop for students who fail to attend class during the first two weeks of the semester. Faculty-initiated drops/withdrawals may also be initiated for students or auditors who enroll in courses without the required prerequisites.

Faculty must follow the same drop/withdrawal deadlines specified for students in either full semester courses or courses of less than a full semester in length.