Petition for Refunds
Petition for Refund
In the event of extenuating circumstances, a student or person with legal authority to act on behalf of a student, may petition for an exception to University policy on refunds of tuition and fees. Petitions are not automatically granted but will be considered in light of the criteria set forth below and the individual circumstances of the request. Being unaware of university procedures or deadlines does not constitute justification for refund. Refunds are rarely granted and only when extenuating circumstances are documented. https://www.uas.alaska.edu/forms/documents/petition.pdf
- Only requests submitted by the student or by a person with legal authority to act on behalf of the student will be considered.
- The deadline to submit a Petition for Refund is no later than one academic year following the semester in which the course was offered. Requests that are not received within this time frame will not be considered.
- At the time a Petition for Refund is filed, the student must have already withdrawn or received a failing or No Basis. Refunds will not be considered for courses in which a student is still registered or for which a passing grade, Incomplete, Deferred or Audit grade exists.
- Decisions will be made solely on supporting documentation provided. In all cases a personal statement from the student is required summarizing the situation and explaining the need for an exception to the refund deadline.
- A request will only be approved if the petitioner can demonstrate unanticipated and unavoidable circumstances beyond the student’s control that arose or came to light after published deadlines. Work-related issues, financial hardship, and failure to read UAS’ documents generally do not present justifiable reasons to support a refund request.
- Petitions for refund for self-support courses are generally not allowed and must have approval of the academic unit/department chair or director.
- Mandatory Student Fees are not refundable unless a student drops all courses during the 100% refund period.
- If the petition for refund is approved, refunds will be issued to the original funding source, e.g., credit card, financial aid, granting agency, lending agency, etc.
- Submitted, completed petitions are generally reviewed weekly. The complexity, completeness, and the number of petitions in review will determine the response time frame. All charges are considered true and correct and are therefore not suspended during the review process. The university reserves the right to move forward on all collection efforts during the review process.
- Requests for reconsideration of an adverse decision must be in writing to the UAS Vice Chancellor of Administration within 30 days of the day the decision is mailed or otherwise distributed to the student. Letters should address what the petition committee decided in error based upon university policy, or for what reason the University should make an extraordinary exception to its published policies. It is encouraged to provide any documentation that supports the claim. http://www.uas.alaska.edu/businessservices/studentaccounts/appeals.html
- Complaints about dissatisfaction with academic courses, methods of course delivery or instructor performance are not considered under this process. Depending on the nature of the complaint, these matters are considered according to the Student Dispute/Complaint Resolution Process or the Academic Dispute Resolution Procedure, which can be found in the http://catalog.uas.alaska.edu/student-rights-responsibilities/
Military Students Called to Active Duty or Deployment
Students called to active duty or involuntarily activated, deployed or relocated during an academic term are eligible for 100 percent refund of tuition and fees, and a prorated adjustment on housing and meal plans.