Students who wish to drop courses must complete and submit a drop form through the Registrar’s Office or may drop online at UAOnline.alaska.edu. Student fees are non-refundable. Any debts owed to the University (any campus) by the student will be subtracted from the refund before issuance of a check or direct deposit to the student or the source of financial aid. Full or partial refund of tuition and fees will be made according to the schedule on this page.
Self–support courses, correspondence courses, and sponsored courses offered have different refund policies than those indicated here. Check with the Registrar's Office to determine the policy for specific self-support courses.
The first day of instruction for semester–length courses is the first day of instruction listed in the official academic calendar.
- Registrations for courses by UAS, tuition and fees will be refunded in full.
- The date of the drop transaction determines eligibility for a refund.
- If registration is cancelled as a result of disciplinary action, students forfeit all rights to a refund of any portion of tuition and fees.
- Full term vocational/technical course fees are subject to this refund schedule.
- In case the operations of UAS are adversely affected by war, riot, natural act, action of civil authority, strike or other emergency or condition, the University reserves the right to take action to curtail part of all of its operations, including action to cancel classes and action to discontinue services. In any case in which a significant curtailment is judged proper by UAS, the University’s liability is limited to (at most) a refund of tuition and fees paid.
- Housing refunds: See Student Services section in this catalog or contact Student Activities.
Non-Credit Course Refunds
All non-credit courses are self-support; minimum enrollment is required. To be eligible for a refund, students must drop seven days prior to the course start date.
Student Financial Assistance and Tuition Assistance Refunds
The Financial Aid Office begins disbursing aid 10 days before the start of each term; however the actual receipt of aid is dependent on the completeness of each student’s financial aid application and any additional requirements for each aid type. The Student Accounts Office will begin processing refunds as soon as funds are disbursed to a student's account. While refunds are usually processed within a week, during times of high volume, refunds may take up to 14 days from the date the funds are disbursed to the student account.
All refunds are subject to federal regulations. A refund received due to dropped classes or a total withdrawal may render a student ineligible for scholarships or financial aid. As a result, funds may be returned to the lender or grantor pursuant to all applicable rules and regulations resulting in a balance due to the university. Students are encouraged to contact Financial Aid prior to dropping or withdrawing from classes to determine the impact of these actions. Any aid received through external funding (e.g., Department of Labor, Dept. of Vocational Rehabilitation, Military Tuition Assistance programs) will generally be returned to the original funding source within Title IV regulation 14 day time frame. Students receiving this form of aid should contact their campus representative for more assistance. Students should review the section on Return of Title IV Funds Policy for more information.
Refund checks will be issued to students will be available for pickup at the Student Accounts Office located in Novatney, room 215, or may be direct deposited if the student has signed up via UAonline.alaska.edu for this option (see below). Refund checks not picked up will be mailed to the address on record within two weeks. During the first two weeks before and the first two weeks of each semester a high volume of refunds are processed in the order in which the aid has been applied. Refunds are processed twice per week during the remainder of the school year.
Students who paid term charges by credit card will have their credit card refunded first, up to the amount charged.
Students should check UAOnline for the most up-to-date information. If the "Current Amount Due" shows as a negative balance, financial aid has been posted and a refund will be processed. Once the "Current Amount Due" shows a zero balance, the refund has been processed. Direct deposit refunds generally take three to five business days to reach a student's bank account.
Refund checks will not be issued for amounts less than $1. For questions regarding refunds contact Student Accounts at (907) 796-6267 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Students with financial aid may apply for a book voucher as an advance against their aid. Students may submit a request online at http://www.uas.alaska.edu/bookstore/index.html or contact the Student Account Office at (907) 796-6492 for a book voucher if an advance is needed to fund book purchases.
|Course Length||100% Refund Tuition & Fees||No Refund|
|Semester-length courses (Fall and Spring only)||Prior to and during the first 2 weeks of instruction for the semester||On the first calendar day after the second week of instruction for the semester|
|Credit courses meeting 12 or more times but less than a semester||Prior to the 3rd class meeting, or check online or with the Registrar's Office||On or after the day of the 3rd class meeting, or check online or with the Registrar's Office|
|Credit courses meeting 5-11 times||Prior to the day of the 2nd class meeting||On or after the day of the 2nd class meeting|
|Credit courses meeting less than 5 times||On or before the first day of the course|
|E-Learning courses with no designated class meetings, to be determined by campus.||Within 7 to 14 calendar days from the later of student's registration date or the first day of instruction for the semester.|
Direct Deposit of Refund
Enrolling in direct deposit allows your refunds to be electronically deposited into your bank account. It's simple, safe, and convenient. Enrollment is available through our secure self-service website. Sign up for direct deposit of your refunds through UAOnline (http://uaonline.alaska.edu) by following these steps:
- At the “Student Services & Accounting Information” menu select the “Direct Deposit Enrollment” link.
- Select “1st time setup of direct deposit”
- Select the account type
- Enter the bank routing code
- Enter account number
- Re-enter account number
- Select “Submit”
The UAS Business Office may grant exceptions to financial obligations. Appeals for refund of tuition are exceptions to policy and are only approved in events that are unanticipated and unavoidable. Approval is not automatic, and you need to provide documented evidence to support your request (physician's note, letters of support from instructors, etc.). Acceptable unanticipated and unavoidable reasons may include: military deployment, death in the immediate family, serious illness or injury of student or immediate family, or a change in employment hours or location beyond the student’s control.
- Written documentation of these conditions is required.
- Petitions are not reviewed unless documentation of circumstances is provided.
- Petitions are not reviewed unless the student has officially dropped or withdrawn from course(s).
- Exceptions are not considered for a student’s failure to comply with published deadlines, or changes in employment under the student’s control.
- Petitions will not be considered for semesters beyond one year.